After gaining the honours of the imperial classification in 1855, the Baron of Poyferré
fought courageously through the first “war” against oidium that lasted until 1863.
After a decade of poor quality, low yields, Jean-Marie Poyferré and his wife were
finally forced to sell Léoville Poyferré. The Lalande and Erlanger families, well-known
bankers and wine brokers, purchased the estate in 1865.
At this time, many chateaus were falling out of the hands of the Nobility and into
the hands of the Bordeaux wine merchants, known as the “Chartrons”. Poyferré was
sold for one million francs, representing four years' production (based on averages
before the attacks of illness in the Médoc vineyards - 2 casks or 18 hectolitres
per hectare). This was a sound investment for Lalande and Erlanger as, once the oidium
was dealt with, the great properties were able to make excellent fine wines again.
From 1866, Armand Lalande, who was related to the Lawtons, an age-old family of wine
brokers, presided over the destiny of the domain for twenty years.